10 quick-fire quiz questions to test your brass band knowledge
(Answers at the foot of the page)
- William Rimmer made an arrangement of the overture ‘Ruy Blas’ but who composed it?
- In 1971 Edward Gregson wrote the test piece ‘Essay’ – Which of the following is not a movement from this work?
- Derek Bourgeois has had 4 of his compositions used for the championship section test piece at the National Brass Band Finals of Great Britain. Blitz was used in 1985, The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea was used in 1993 and Concerto No1 Opus 44 in 1997. Can you name the fourth test piece and the year?
- Whose prize-winning soloist eyes do these belong to?
5. What does the musical term ‘sotto’ mean?
- Name the ballet music written in 1910 (transcribed for brass band by Ray Farr) which is based upon Russian folk tales of a magical glowing bird that can be both a blessing and a curse to its owner. An extra point for the name of the composer.
- In 1978 Peter Skellern had a minor pop hit ‘Love is the sweetest thing’ – a remake of the 1932 song written by bandleader and singer Ray Noble. Which brass band played on Skellern’s updated version?
- Which Eric Ball test piece used in the 1947 Great Britain 4th section areas and finals… starts with the movement ‘March of the serious young men’?
- What percussion instrument is this?
- ‘Flight’ written by Phillip Wilby is a virtuoso solo written for which instrument in a brass band?
1.Felix Mendelssohn 2. Monologue 3.Diversions for brass band in 1986 4.Zoe Hancock 5. Subdued 6.The Firebird – Igor Stravinsky 7. Grimethorpe Colliery Band 8. Divertimento 9. cabaça 10. Flugelhorn