10 quick-fire quiz questions to test your brass band knowledge
(Answers at the foot of the page)
- Where would you find the Spanish Hall?
- A Disney Fantasy arranged by Goff Richards contains 10 songs – how many can you name (point for each correct answer)?
- What solo instrument is unusually doubled up in Phillip Sparkes test piece Between the Moon and Mexico?
- The 2018 Championship Section title and the Royal Trophy were won by which band at the West of England Bandsman’s Contest which took place at Molinnis Park in Bugle?
- Treize-Etoiles brass band is from which European country?
- Which composer won the Cyril Beere Award for the best composition or arrangement in the 2010 and 2011 Brass in Concert Championships with The Legends of Cyfarthfa and Nightingale Dances?
- Wantage Silver Band conducted by Paul Holland compete in the London and Southern Counties Region but in which English county are they based?
- Which famous march was composed by Claudio S. Grafulla for the 8th Regiment, New York State Militia based at the Kingsbridge Armoury in the Bronx in 1861?
- Who am I?…born on the 29th March 1925 in Brackley Street. Born into a musical family – Father Archie was a member of the bass section of Besses O’th the Barn Band. While principle cornet at Munn and Feltons won the Cornet Championships of Great Britain in 1959 and 1960. Conducted Brighouse and Rastrick in the winning performance of Hubert Baths Freedom in the Royal Albert Hall 1973.
- Which husband and wife conducted consecutive Grand Shield winning bands?
Answers: 1. Winter Gardens, Blackpool where the Senior Trophy was held as part of this year’s Spring Festival 2. With a smile and a song/ When you wish upon a star / One song/ Whistle while you work/ Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious/ I wanna be like you/ Zip-a-dee-doo-dah/ Who’s afraid of the big bad wolf/ Alice in Wonderland/ The bare necessities. 3. There are two flugelhorn parts 4.St. Dennis – it was their 31st win at this contest 5. Switzerland 6.a) Matthew Hall 7). Oxfordshire 8).Washington Greys 9). James Scott 10).Russel and Mareika Gray (Russel Gray in 2012 with Hepworth and Mareika Gray in 2013 with Milnrow).