10 quick fire questions to test your brass band knowledge
(Answers at the foot of the page)
1.Name the colours in Gilbert Vinter’s Classic test piece ‘Spectrum’ – a bonus point if you get them in the order that they appear in the score.
- Name this virtuoso from Cork City who started to play on baritone age 12 but then switched to Euphonium.
- ‘Mr. Boult goes for a ride in his motor car and Monsieur Ravel turns in his grave’ is the quirky name for the middle movement of a championship test piece. What is the name of the composer and a bonus point for the name of the test piece which has been used in the National Finals of Great Britain in the Royal Albert Hall in the 1990’s?
- Who was the first British brass band to perform at New Yorks Carnegie Hall in October 1993?
- Which famous conductor and composer/arranger said – “For any conductor and every audience, Fodens Band is a musical Magic Carpet. It continually takes the listener to places that few other ensembles rarely even approach”
- Academic Festival Overture,by Brahms was arranged by Dennis Wright, Frank Wright or Orville Wright?
7.Which English bands crest does this belong to?
- Cavalcade, Pavane and Burlesque are movements from which female composers pen?
- What is the meaning of the musical term ‘affannato’?
- Which New Zealand band is furthest north – Waitekere Auckland Brass, Nelson City brass or Wellington Brass?
1.Red, Orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,purple 2. Gary Curtin – Black Dyke Band 3. Concerto no.1 for brass band Op.44 – Derek Bourgeois 4.Black Dyke Band 5.Howard Snell 6. Dennis wright 7.Desford Band – the fox (symbolic of Leicestershire) holding the letter ‘D’ was a clue.8. Helen Perkin 9. Anguished 10.Waitekere Auckland Brass