Brass Band Quiz 13
10 quick-fire quiz questions to test your brass band knowledge
(Answers at the foot of the page)
- Which of the following four bands is the odd one out – Virtuosi Gus, Forresters Brass 2000, Ifton Colliery and Boarhurst Silver?
Who am I? – Born in Cumbria in 1967. It took just 5 years to move from 3rd cornet to principle in his first band, Flimby Saxhorn Silver Band. At the age of 16, he became principle cornet of the NYBB of Great Britain. Principle cornet of Leyland Vehicles Band at the age of 17 and went on to become the principle cornet at Desford Colliery, St Kilda (New Zealand), Black Dyke, Tredegar, and YBS.
Year of the Dragon by Philip Sparke has three movements – can you name the title of each movement (point for each)
- The Soprano Solo ‘Meditation from Thais’ was arranged by Stephen Roberts but originally penned by which French composer?
- Who are the two non – British Bands in the line up for the 2018 British Open?
- Which percussion instrument is this?
- Which band is located the furthest North – Black Dyke, Brighouse and Rastrick, Grimethorpe or Drighlington?
- The British Open was last held in the Free Trade Hall Manchester in 1995 and first held in the Birmingham Symphony Hall in 1997 but where was it held for one year only in 1996?
- In the last 11 Norwegian National Championships (including 2018) Eikanger Bjorsvik has won an incredible 9 titles in the Elite Division. Can you name the other two bands who have each won once in 2010 and 2015 (point for each)?
- Conductor and adjudicator Richard Evans (Dick the Stick!) was born in which part of Britain – Devon, the former County Borough of Rochdale or Yorkshire?
Answers: 1. Boarhurst Silver is the odd one out as it is in the North West Regional Area in the U.K. – the other three are in the Midlands Regional Area. 2. Ian Porthouse 3. Toccata, Interlude, Finale. 4. Jules Massenet 5.Eikanger-Bjorsvik Musikklag (Norway) and Valasia Brass Band (Switzerland) 6.Vibra Slap 7). Black Dyke 8). The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester 9). Manger Musikklag (2010) and Stavanger Brass Band (2015) 10. Devon.