Blog Brass Band Quizzes
Brass Band Quiz 10
10 quick fire quiz questions to test your brass band knowledge
(Answers at the foot of the page)
- Herbert Howells, composer of ‘Pagentry’ the 2017 Area set piece for the Championship section of the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain was born in which English County – Herfordshire, Worcestershire or Gloucestershire?
- Which Italian musical term has the literal translation of ‘airy’?
- ‘Rimmers Race’ is the third and final movement of which test piece used in both the National Finals of Great Britain and the British Open and was dedicated to three prominent brass band related personalities?
- ‘Dick Barton – Special Agent’ was a favourite BBC radio drama (1946-51) but what is the name of the fast and furious theme music that has been arranged for brass band by Bob Dean?
- Ex Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath was a guest conductor on the Black Dyke Mills Band CD ‘European Brass’ on which he conducted a specially commissioned piece named after his own Yatch. Robert Farnon wrote the piece but what was it called?
- In which countries would you find these top 100 ranking brass bands? a) Goodwick Brass b) Brass Band Heist c) Lyngby Taarbaek
- Which composers eyes do these belong to?
- Peter Skellern, who sadly passed away earlier this month had a huge chart hit in 1972 with ‘Your a Lady’. He insisted that a brass band accompany him rather than an orchestra but which English brass band was chosen?
- Who is this describing? Born in Sunderland in 1945. studied composition and piano at the Royal Academy of Music. Nominated for an Ivor Novello award for his title music to BBC Television’s Young Musician of the Year programme. Has written several test pieces for brass band. An ex-principal of the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester.
- Johan de Meij composed the test piece for the 2005 european brass band Championships which included players blowing into glass bottles. The contest was won by Black Dyke – name the test piece.
Answers: 1. Gloucestershire (born in Lydney) 2. Arioso 3.Three Figures by Herbert Howells – the three movements and ‘figures’ are ‘Copes Challenge’ (Samual Cope the founder of the ‘British Bandsman’);’Iles Interlude’ (John Henry Iles the founder and chief administrator of the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain) and ‘Rimmers Race’ (William Rimmer the composer, instrumentalist and conductor) 4.Devils Gallop 5. Morning Cloud 6.a) Wales b)Belgium c) Denmark 7).Philip Wilby 8).The Hanwell Band 9). Edward Gregson 10).Extreme Makeover